The First Nations Education Steering Committee was established in 1992 by participants at a Provincial First Nations education conference held at the Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre.
FNESC was mandated to:
Facilitate discussion about education matters affecting First Nations in B.C. by disseminating information and soliciting input from First Nations.
Today, we provide support to our members in the following ways:
- Facilitate communication and coordinate information sharing;
- Organize responses to emerging issues;
- Coordinate provincial conferences, regional workshops and information workshops;
- Conduct research on broad topics to support First Nations education initiatives;
- Undertake policy discussions, with explicit direction from and communication with First Nations communities;
- Provide a forum for a united First Nations voice;
- Provide administrative and technical support to ensure First Nations control of First Nations education programs.
Comments and suggestions about the activities facilitated by FNESC are always welcome.