January 17, 2023
This workshop is designed to support First Nations with students living on reserve who attend BC public schools to promote improved learning outcomes. It is an initiative of the First Nations Education Steering Committee.
Together, we will explore strategies and tools available to First Nations to support increased school district accountability for First Nation students in the public education system.
- Highlights in First Nations education
- Overview of First Nations student data
- Updates regarding Local Education Agreements
- Indigenous Education Targeted Funds
- Updates on the implementation of First Nation Student Transportation
- First Nation Student Rates and Nominal Roll
- How to use the Framework for Enhancing Student Learning planning and reporting requirements to enhance student learning and equity of outcomes
- Parent Toolkit
- Implementation of the 6th Non-instructional Day and the 9th Teachers’ Standard
WAITLIST If you are unable to register, please join the waitlist.
Please note that this event is only for BC First Nations that have students in public schools.
Please read the criteria below to confirm eligibility
Eligibility to Attend
Representatives of BC First Nations who receive an email invitation are eligible to attend.
We recommend that 2 representatives per First Nation attend:
- a political representative (e.g. Band Council member with responsibility for the K-12 public school education portfolio or Chief)
- an education technical representative (e.g. education coordinator/director)
A venue-specific maximum capacity will also apply.
Travel is reimbursable for up to two representatives per BC First Nation (Band) or Tribal Council to attend. See the sample travel claim form.
Venue and Hotel Accommodation
Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront
1133 W Hastings St, Vancouver, BC
Rooms from $149 plus tax
Book by December 16, 2022 for the negotiated rate.
Meeting 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Breakfast (8:30 am) and lunch provided.
Health and Safety
- We ask that you stay home if you are feeling unwell. Only registered participants are eligible to attend.
- Family and friends cannot attend the event at any time, including for meals.
- The decision to attend in-person events is a personal one and it should be made in consideration of your individual risk factors and vulnerabilities.
Alberto Castillo, Administrative Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org