This workshop from the First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) is designed to support First Nations with students living on reserve who attend BC public schools to promote improved learning outcomes.
Local Education Agreements (LEAs) are an important accountability mechanism that First Nations can use with boards of education to build better relationships and to achieve better outcomes for First Nations students. This workshop is for First Nations with LEAs and without LEAs.
This event is being offered through Zoom videoconferencing to ensure the health and safety of participants during the COVID-19 pandemic.
An event flyer is available.
- Identification of education governance supports, including Education Partnership Program funding
- Discussion regarding strategies and tools to strengthen your LEA planning and negotiation processes
- Review of the LEA Guiding Principles and updates related to the Provincial LEA
- Development of Joint First Nations/School District transportation plans for First Nation students attending provincial public schools
- Overview of the Ministry of Education’s Framework for Enhancing Student Learning which sets out planning and reporting requirements for school districts to enhance student learning and equity of outcomes.
|Date||Region, if applicable||Time||Registration|
|Apr. 21, 2021||Okanagan/Southeast Region||1:00-4:00pm||REGISTER|
|Apr. 28, 2021||Northwest and Central Region (NEW DATE)||1:00-4:00pm||REGISTER|
|Apr. 29, 2021||Island Region||1:00-4:00pm||REGISTER|
|May 4, 2021||Lower Mainland Region||1:00-4:00pm||REGISTER|
Please register for your nearest session to promote regional dialogue.
Staff will review your registration application and once approved you will receive a confirmation email from Zoom that includes your personalized meeting link.
Representatives of BC First Nation communities who receive an invitation are eligible to attend.
We recommend that 2 representatives per First Nation attend:
- a political representative (e.g. Band Council member with responsibility for the K-12 public school education portfolio or Chief)
- an education technical representative (e.g. education coordinator)
Meeting kits will be emailed to participants in advance of the session. A Zoom meeting procedures guide will be included in your kit.
The event contact can assist if you have any technical questions about how to join the Zoom session.
Katrina Moody, Administrative Assistant
firstname.lastname@example.org Toll-free 1-877-422-3672