July 8, 2022
Sheraton Vancouver Airport, Richmond, BC
This full-day workshop, hosted by the First Nations Education Steering Committee and First Nations Schools Association, is designed to support educators to bring quality, authentic First Peoples teaching and learning into BC classrooms.
FNESC and FNSA’s new resource, the BC First Peoples 12 Teacher Resource Guide (DRAFT), is intended to support students and teachers of BC First Peoples 12. The resource has eight thematic units: Here, Now; Story and Storytelling; Honouring the Children; The Power of Names; Acknowledging Rights; Food, Health, and Wellness; Resources and Economies; Maps and Borders; and Taking Action.
Participants will receive a copy of draft resource guide, collaboratively explore its units, discuss implementation of its lessons, and network with other educators.
Registration for this event is now full. You are welcome to join the waitlist and we will contact you if space become available.
Note that this course is also being offered on August 19 and 24th in the Learning First Peoples Summer Institute.
- First Nations school, public school and independent school educators are eligible to attend.
- Maximum 30 people per session.
- Registration deadline: July 1, 2022 or when capacity is reached
- Registration fee: $30 per session.
- Credit card: Credit card is accepted online during registration or phone in credit card payment to CivicInfo at 250-383-4898.
- Cheques: Payable to First Nations Education Steering Committee c/o CivicInfo Mail to: CivicInfo BC, #203 – 4475 Viewmont Avenue, Victoria BC, V8Z 6L8.
- Participant name must be included with the cheque.
- Registration fees must be received prior to the event or your registration will be cancelled.
- Session 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
- Breakfast (8:30 am) and lunch provided.
Health and Safety
- To attend the event, participants will be required to present their BC Vaccine Card (electronic or print copy) showing they have received two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. Please refer to the event health and safety protocols.
Venue and Accommodation
- Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, 7551 Westminster Highway, Richmond
- Book accommodation by June 15 quoting FNESC First Peoples 12 Workshop for the negotiated rate of $265 plus tax single/double.
- Reservations: Call 1-800-663-0299.
- Booking link
Travel Reimbursement for First Nations School Representatives
- Travel/hotel reimbursement is available only to teachers from BC First Nations schools, maximum 3 per school, per session.
- Travel claims must be mailed to FNESC post-marked within 30 days of the event to be eligible for reimbursement. Include original receipts for hotel, ferry, airplane, taxi, bus and parking.
- A sample travel claim form is available for review. A summary of FNESC policies is on the reverse side. Rates are subject to change.
- When you register online, you will receive an automatic email confirming your registration.
- You will only be reimbursed for “most economical” mode of travel.
- Only individuals eligible for travel reimbursement and living more than 1 hour or 90 km from the event location can apply for required nights of hotel reimbursed. The maximum reimbursed is the negotiated rate.
- You cannot claim breakfasts or lunches on the meeting day because they are provided.
- Thais Rocha, Events and Travel Coordinator, FNESC
Toll-free 1-877-422-3672 firstname.lastname@example.org