Founded upon the First Peoples Principles of Learning and consistent with the Calls to Action of the Truth And Reconciliation Commission, the following workshops are designed for BC teachers to support them to teach about First Peoples in informed, respectful and appropriate ways.
Science First Peoples Workshop
September 22, 2017
Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, 7551 Westminster Highway, Richmond
In this workshop, see how First Peoples’ perspectives in science can be recognized and included in science inquiry and take home examples of fully developed units that correspond with the Big Ideas and Learning Standards in the BC Provincial Science Curriculum for grades 5- 9.
Book your accommodation at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport hotel, 7551 Westminster Hwy, Richmond by August 29, 2017 by phoning 1-800-663-0299 quoting “FNESC Science First Peoples Workshop”. Online booking link. You can also register your license plate for complimentary parking.
Learning First Peoples Summer Institute for Teachers
August 21-24, 2017
Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, Richmond
- First Nations school, public school and independent school teachers are invited to attend.
- Registration fee (all participants) $30. Registration fees must be received in advance of the event by our registration service provider, CivicInfo, and cannot be accepted in person at the event.
Travel expense reimbursement
- Available for up to two representatives per BC First Nation school, per workshop. Maximum capacity per workshop 40 people.
- See the sample travel claim form, which includes a summary of FNESC policies on the reverse. Travel claims must be received within 30 days of the event.
Schedule (all workshops)
- Breakfast: 8:30 am; workshop 9:00 am to 3:30 pm; breakfast and lunch provided.
- Registration deadline: 48 hours prior to the start of the event or earlier if capacity is reached. Please book early to avoid disappointment.
- Refund policy: Full refunds up 48 hours prior to the event. No refunds after. Substitutions allowed.
- Registration fees must be received by CivicInfo in advance of the event and are not accepted at the event.
- Pay online with a credit card during registration or phone in credit card payment to CivicInfo at 250-383-4898.
- Cheques are accepted, payable to First Nations Education Steering Committee c/o CivicInfo Mail to: CivicInfo BC, #203 – 4475 Viewmont Avenue, Victoria BC, V8Z 6L8. Include participant name.