Effective human resource practices are fundamental to operating strong schools and the First Nations Schools Association, working with the First Nations Education Steering Committee, is committed to providing supports for this area of school operations.
The Human Resources (HR) Coach provides service to those who manage employees at First Nations schools in British Columbia.
Specifically, the HR Coach:
- provides day to day HR advice and trouble-shooting via email and HR helpline;
- develops and disseminates HR resources for use by First Nations School Principals and Education Directors;
- supports FN Schools with recruitment of teachers using Make-a-Future, and provides FN Schools with information about teaching job fairs at Canadian Universities;
- participates in professional development opportunities provided by the Instructional Services team.
Human Resources Support Line
First Nations school administrators can contact the support line regarding the following types of topics:
- performance management, discipline and termination – e.g., templates, coaching, updates, policies;
- employee health and safety – e.g., forms, WorkSafe BC updates;
- workplace relationships – e.g., bullying and harassment policy, investigations;
- attraction, selection and retention of employees – e.g., resource manuals, employment contracts, form templates, job postings, job descriptions; and
- drugs and alcohol – e.g., fitness for duty policy, marijuana in the workplace, return to work agreement, accommodation.
Job Opportunities in First Nations Schools
First Nations schools in British Columbia can post employment opportunities to Make a Future free of charge. Each school has a unique login. For login link and reference manual please visit the First Nations Schools Association website.