The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) invites BC First Nations school and community representatives to our annual regional sessions. Given the ongoing pandemic, this year’s sessions will be offered online through Zoom. To ensure that your regional issues are appropriately addressed, please register for the session that corresponds with the location of your community (see regional breakdown below).
These sessions are an opportunity for FNESC to share information about important issues in First Nations education, to support First Nation schools and communities, and to receive direction from First Nations to inform our work. They are part our efforts to share information and maintain accountability to First Nations in BC. This year, participation is limited to representatives from BC First Nations and First Nations schools.
As registration is limited to two representatives per First Nation, please coordinate internally with your First Nation to determine who will be in attendance.
Regional Sessions Schedule
|Jan. 12-13, 2021||Northwest Region (formerly Prince Rupert session)||REGISTER|
|Jan. 19-20, 2021||Okanagan/Southeast BC Region (formerly Kelowna/Kamloops/Cranbrook sessions)||REGISTER|
|Jan. 21-22, 2021||Island Region (formerly Nanaimo session)||REGISTER|
|Feb. 2-3, 2021||Central BC Region (formerly Prince George session)||REGISTER|
|Feb. 9-10, 2021||Lower Mainland Region (formerly Vancouver session)||REGISTER|
Once submitted, FNESC staff will confirm your registration and provide a Zoom link.
Please note that as the FNESC office is closed from Dec. 19 – Jan. 4 you may not receive confirmation immediately upon registering.
Eligibility is limited to representatives from BC First Nations/Tribal Councils and First Nations schools. Participation is limited to two representatives per First Nation/Tribal Council with a maximum of 60 participants total per session.
Please register for your nearest session to promote regional dialogue and feedback.
Watch for our upcoming Speaker Series, which will be open to all interested BC educators and administrators. Further details will be available soon.
New half-day format:
9:00 am to 12:30 pm each day
Day 1: First Nations students in BC Public and non-First Nation Independent Schools
- COVID-19 impacts in the public school context, including funding, engagement, accommodation, and district reporting requirements
- BC Tripartite Education Agreement (BCTEA), including Local Education Agreements and transportation, nominal roll, the Indigenous-focused professional learning day, and First Nations languages policy
- Indigenous Education Targeted Funding Policy and the Framework for Enhancing Student Learning
- Updates on FNESC’s new protocols, the BC Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act, racism in K-12 schools, and post-secondary education
Day 2: First Nations students in First Nations schools
- COVID-19 impacts in the First Nations school context, including funding and resources
- BCTEA funding, including formula updates, nominal roll, the estimator tool, and funding handbook
- First Nations school governance, including the new governance toolkit, pilots, community capacity building, and pro-d
- Updates on language & culture and online learning
Meeting kits will be emailed to participants in advance of the session. A Zoom meeting procedures guide will be included in your kit.
The event contact can assist if you have any technical questions about how to join a Zoom session.