Effective human resource practices are fundamental to operating strong schools and the First Nations Schools Association, working with the First Nations Education Steering Committee, is committed to providing supports for this area of school operations.
Human Resources Coach
The Human Resources (HR) Coach provides service to those who manage employees at First Nations schools in British Columbia.
Specifically, the HR Coach:
- provides day to day HR advice and trouble-shooting via email and HR helpline;
- develops and disseminates HR resources for use by First Nations School Principals and Education Directors;
- supports FN Schools in effectively using Make a Future, and provides FN Schools with information about teaching job fairs at Canadian Universities;
- participates in professional development opportunities provided by the Instructional Services team.
Human Resources Support Line
M-F, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
The HR Coach can support you with:
- Workplace Relationships;
- Attendance Management;
- Accommodating Drug or Alcohol Addiction;
- Accommodating Injury or Illness;
- Health and Safety;
- Performance Management;
- Attraction and Selection;
- Succession Planning;
- Recruitment Options;
- And any other HR issue you are dealing with.
Job Opportunities in First Nations Schools
First Nations schools in British Columbia can post employment opportunities to Make a Future free of charge. Each school has a unique login. For login link and reference manual please visit the First Nations Schools Association website.
The Principals of Success: Employee Retention Stories from BC First Nation Schools (2023)
Employment Toolkit for First Nations Schools (2020)
Attracting Teachers from Outside of Canada
Selecting Teachers for Your School Using Virtual Interview Platforms
Tips for a Polished Zoom Interview
Effective Hiring Practices for First Nations Schools in BC (2017)