Effective human resource practices are fundamental to operating strong schools and the First Nations Schools Association, working with the First Nations Education Steering Committee, is committed to providing supports for this area of school operations.
The Human Resources (HR) Coach provides service to those who manage employees at First Nations schools in British Columbia.
Specifically, the HR Coach position was created to build HR capacity through the following services:
- providing day to day HR advice and trouble-shooting via email and HR helpline;
- developing and promoting HR resources for use by First Nations School Principals and Education Directors;
- working with Make-a-Future and Universities to promote the First Nations Schools brand and teaching opportunities at First Nations schools;
- providing HR training to First Nations School Principals and Education Directors; and
- completing projects related to HR matters for First Nations schools.
Human Resources Support Line
First Nations school administrators can contact the support line regarding the following types of topics:
- performance management, discipline and termination – e.g., templates, coaching, updates, policies;
- employee health and safety – e.g., forms, WorkSafe BC updates;
- workplace relationships – e.g., bullying and harassment policy, investigations;
- attraction, selection and retention of employees – e.g., resource manuals, employment contracts, form templates, job postings, job descriptions; and
- drugs and alcohol – e.g., fitness for duty policy, marijuana in the workplace, return to work agreement, accommodation.
Job Opportunities in First Nations Schools
First Nations schools in British Columbia can post employment opportunities to Make a Future free of charge. Each school has a unique login. For login link and reference manual please visit the First Nations Schools Association website.