Established in 1992, the First Nations Education Steering Committee works to advance quality education for all First Nations students in British Columbia and to support communities in their efforts to improve the success of First Nations students.
Learning First Peoples Summer Institute
Registration for the Summer Institute, August 19-21, 2019, is now open!
Language Coach, Instructional Coach, Regional ICT Support Assistant, Occupational Therapist….
Mark your calendars for the FNESC Conference
It is early still, but we encourage you to mark your calendars for the FNESC Annual Indigenous Education Conference, November 28 to 30, 2019. We reach capacity every year…
|July 11-12, 2019||FNESC Board Meeting and AGM||Vancouver|
|Aug. 19-21, 2019||Learning First Peoples Summer Institute||Vancouver|
|Sept. 2019||Special Education Program Regional Workshop for FN Schools (Nanaimo, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Kamloops, Vancouver)||Various|
|Oct. 3-4, 2019||Regional Session||Kelowna|
|Oct. 7-8, 2019||First Nations Languages Conference||Vancouver|
|Oct. 10-11, 2019||Regional Session||Prince Rupert|
|Oct. 17-18, 2019||Indigenous Adult and Higher Learning Association AGM and Conference||Richmond|
|Oct. 22-23, 2019||Regional Session||Kamloops|
|Nov. 4-5, 2019||Regional Session||Nanaimo|
|Nov. 15, 2019||FNESC Board Meeting||Vancouver|
|Nov. 18-10, 2019||Regional Session||Cranbrook|
|Nov. 28-30, 2019||FNESC Annual Indigenous Education Conference||Vancouver|
|Dec. 9-10, 2019||Regional Session||Prince George|
|Dec. 12-14, 2019||Regional Session||Vancouver|
|Feb. 14, 2020||FNESC Board Meeting||Vancouver|
|Apr. 1-4, 2020||FNSA AGM and Conference||Vancouver|
|Apr. 17, 2020||FNESC Board Meeting||Vancouver|
We are pleased to announce that a renewed BC Tripartite Education Agreement: Supporting First Nation Student Success (BCTEA) has been signed, resulting in important and positive changes for First Nations education in British Columbia…
The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) was founded in 1992 by participants at a provincial First Nations education conference at the Vancouver Friendship Centre. That visionary group of people determined the need for a First Nations-controlled collective organization focused on advancing quality education for all First Nations learners…
- The English First Peoples Teacher Resource Guide (2018) provides support for the 2016-18 revision of British Columbia’s English First Peoples 10-12 curriculum. See our publications catalogue for more resources…
- The Aboriginal “How Are We Doing?” report, available on the BC Ministry of Education website, provides information about Aboriginal students (including adults) performance in public schools.
- First Nations Post-Secondary Coordinators can visit our PSE Coordinators page to information about funding programs, student resources, and more.
- Looking for a career in First Nations schools? Visit our partner, the First Nations Schools Association.
- FNESC Membership is open to BC First Nations (Bands). Each First Nation is eligible to have one representative on the FNESC Board. Contact FNESC at 1-877-422-3672 regarding membership questions or updates or see details on our Membership Page.
DID YOU KNOW
Each year FNESC holds a series of community meetings called Regional Sessions to report on our activities and to seek input from First Nations on a wide range of education issues. The next set of Regional Sessions will begin in September 2019.