Thank you to everyone who attended the conference this year!
Mark your calendar for November 24 (evening), 25-26, 2016 for the next FNESC Conference
Check back soon for photos and video chronicling the 2015 event.
FOR REFERENCE ONLY
FNESC Annual Aboriginal Education Conference 2015
November 26th (evening), November 27-28, 2015
The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, BC
Showcasing innovative curriculum, inspiring people and networking opportunities, the First Nations Education Steering Committee Annual Aboriginal Education Conference draws several hundred educators each year..
Our conference theme, Respect and Reconciliation, references the idea that to achieve quality Aboriginal education means addressing the nature of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal relationships in Canada and it is inspired by the recommendations of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples.
We are pleased to announce Dr. Cindy Blackstock as our keynote speaker. Cindy is the Executive Director, First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada, Associate Professor, University of Alberta and Director of FNCARES. She has 25 years of social work experience in child protection and Indigenous children’s rights.
We are also very pleased to feature a plenary presentation on day two by Sheila Dodds, Assistant Auditor General of BC, on the results of an audit by the Office of the Auditor General of BC that has been conducted to determine whether the Ministry of Education has met its public commitment to close the gaps in educational outcomes between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students.
Join in the Thursday Evening Celebration!
On Thursday evening, November 26th, come out to register and enjoy a social evening with a toonie auction and silent auction. We are very excited to welcome the Kamkwalal Dancers, a collective of students and educators from the territories of the Kwakwaka’wakw (Kwak’wala speaking peoples) on Northern Vancouver Island.
Registration opens at 5:30 pm Thursday, and the Thursday evening program runs from 7 to 9pm. Coffee, tea and finger foods will be served.
You are welcome to bring a friend or two out on Thursday evening, at no extra charge. We especially invite post-secondary Teacher Education students to attend. Just email email@example.com in advance so we can monitor overall numbers.
- The venue is the Westin Bayshore Hotel, 1601 Bayshore Drive, Vancouver.
- When you arrive, please come to the conference registration table main level. A nametag will be filed under your last name. The registration desk will open 5:30 pm to 8:15pm on the evening of November 26. It will open again the next morning at about 7:15am.
- A hot breakfast will be served from 8:00 am on November 27 and 28th. Lunch is also provided on both days.
- Please don’t wear strongly scented products.
- For our sharing table, I invite everyone to bring information about learning resources, professional development events, business cards, etc. so that we can all see what is happening around the province and beyond. The sharing table will be set up by noon on November 27th.
- Your workshops will be listed on your nametag. You do not need to have workshop changes approved by staff members but please check the event bulletin board near the registration desk for workshops with space available.
- Door prizes and auction donations are gladly accepted at the registration desk.
- Like to tweet? We appreciate the sharing of conference happenings #FNESC15
- If you are wondering if your registration is paid or unpaid, you can contact our registration provider, CivicInfo at 250-383-4898. You can also call that number to pay by credit card. If you are bringing payment to the conference, go to the “Payments and New Registrations” station when you arrive.
Online Registration – Registration is now at capacity
Regular $450, Elders (60+) $350, Students $350. One day rate $300. Breakfasts and lunches on November 27 and 28 are included. GST included.
IMPORTANT: All registration fees must be received in full by our registration provider, CivicInfo, by November 26th. Those with unpaid registrations are not eligible to attend the conference. You are responsible for ensuring third-party payments arrive on time.
- Credit cards accepted during the online registration process.
- Alternatively, to pay by credit after you have registered, please call CivicInfo at 250-383-4898
- If paying by cheque, please send cheque addressed to
First Nations Education Steering Committee c/o CivicInfo
- Please attach a list of participants or a copy of the automatic email confirmation/s.
- Mail cheques to: CivicInfo, 7th Floor – 620 View Street, Victoria BC, V8W 1J6 (not to FNESC)
Reserve at the Westin Bayshore
A room block is available at The Westin Bayshore Vancouver, 1601 W. Hastings St., Vancouver
Rates from $127+tax.
Book by November 2nd, 2015. We recommend you don’t delay in booking your room, as our block may fill up early!
Book a room online or call 604-682-3377 quoting “FNESC Conference”
Overflow Room Block
Vancouver Marriott Downtown, 1128 W. Hastings 604-684-1128
The special group rate ($159 single double) will only be available before the cutoff date of Tuesday, November 17th, 2015. Attendees are more than welcome to book after this date however rates will depend on availability.
Exhibitors have now been selected and the application process is closed.
Applications were accepted from September 4 to September 18 and there was a juried process. All applications received by the deadline were considered.
Exhibit days: November 27 and 28
Thank you very much for your interest in exhibiting!