The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) invites you to our annual Regional Sessions to learn about the activities of FNESC and our partners and to discuss emerging issues in First Nations education. The sessions represent a fundamental component of FNESC’s efforts to communicate with and be accountable to First Nations in BC. At the sessions FNESC will be seeking direction from First Nations to inform our ongoing work.
|Oct. 11-12, 2023||Prince Rupert, The Crest Hotel||REGISTER|
|Oct. 24-25, 2023||Kelowna, Delta Hotels by Marriott Okanagan||REGISTER|
|Nov. 7-8, 2023||Prince George, Courtyard by Marriott||REGISTER|
|Nov. 16-17, 2023||Nanaimo, Vancouver Island Convention Centre (accomm. Courtyard by Marriott)||REGISTER|
|Dec. 5-6, 2023||Kamloops, Delta Hotels by Marriott||REGISTER|
|Dec. 12-13, 2023||Vancouver, Sheraton Wall Center||REGISTER|
|Jan. 11-12, 2024||Virtual Session||REGISTER|
A waitlist is available in case your local session is full or in case of additional First Nations representatives beyond the 2 eligible.
AGENDA HIGHLIGHTS (draft)
- BC Tripartite Education Agreement, Student Data (public schools), Transportation Research, 6th Professional Learning Day, Adult Education
- DRIPA Action Plan, including Policy and Legislation (K-12 and PSE), Indigenous-Focused Graduation Requirement, Racism Review, Legislation and Funding for First Nations Mandated Institutes, First Nations Languages Fluency Degree, Teacher Recruitment and Retention Strategy
- Other major topics include the Framework for Enhancing Student Learning and the First Nations Children and Youth in Care Protocol
- Guest presentations by the Ministry of Education and Child Care and Indigenous Services Canada (tbc)
- Post-secondary Education and Training, including the Tripartite PSE Model, Student Data, and Funding Model Review
- First Nations Schools, including School Policy Resources, Funding Updates, Transportation and Governance Resources
- Education Jurisdiction Update
- BCTEA 2 First Nation School Capital, including Seismic and General Facility Assessments, School Space Accommodation Standards, ISC Asset Condition Reporting, BC-Specific Capital Funding Model, AFN Capital Research.
- First Nations, Tribal Council and First Nations School Representatives
- School District Representatives (eligible participants are Trustees, Superintendents and Indigenous Education Leads)
- Representatives of First Nations, Tribal Councils and First Nations Schools
Participation is limited to two representatives per First Nation. There will be a waitlist for additional participants. Maximum venue capacities apply.
Travel is reimbursable for up to two representatives per BC First Nation (Band) or Tribal Council to attend their nearest session. See the sample travel claim (including policies)
- Day 1: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Day 2: 9:00 am to 1:00pm
Breakfast (8:00 am) and lunch are provided both days.
Crest Hotel Prince Rupert
222 1st Ave W, Prince Rupert
Room rate: from $175 to 209+tax
Reservations: (250) 624-6771 quoting “FNESC” or requesting the Provincial Government rate
Booking deadline: please book as soon as possible for the best rates.
Delta Hotels by Marriott Okanagan Resort
1310 Water Street, Kelowna
Room rate: from $339+tax
Reservations: Booking link or 1 (888) 236-2427 quoting “FNESC Regional Session”
Booking deadline: September 30, 2023
Courtyard by Marriott Prince George
900 Brunswick St, Prince George
Room rate: from $159+tax
Reservations: Booking link or (250) 596-6274 quoting “FNESC Regional Session”
Booking deadline: October 7, 2023
Courtyard by Marriott Nanaimo Downtown
100 Gordon St, Nanaimo
Room rate: from $199+tax
Reservations: Booking link or (250) 824-2705 quoting “FNESC Regional Session”
Booking deadline: please book as soon as possible for the best rates
Delta Hotels by Marriott Kamloops
540 Victoria St, Kamloops
Room rate: from $169+tax
Reservations: Booking link (250) 372-2281 quoting “FNESC Regional Session”
Booking deadline: November 4, 2023
Marriott Pinnacle Hotel
1128 W. Hastings St, Vancouver
Room rate: from $259+tax
Reservations: Booking link or (604) 684-1128 quoting “FNESC Regional Session”
Booking deadline: November 14, 2023
Please stay home if you are feeling unwell. Only registered participants are eligible to attend. Family and friends cannot attend the event at any time, including for meals. The decision to attend in-person events is a personal one and it should be made in consideration of your individual risk factors and vulnerabilities.
Steven Nootchtai, Administrative Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org