The BC Tripartite Education Agreement: Supporting First Nation Student Success (BCTEA) sets the foundation for further growth and changes to support the growth of our BC First Nations education system. Those changes include new funding commitments, new First Nations education commitments from Canada and BC, Language and Culture funding for First Nation Schools, continuation of our Special Education Program, and important Nominal Roll changes.
Superintendents and Chairs of Indigenous Education Councils participated in the Jointly Convened Annual Meeting (JCAM) on Oct. 16, 2019 in Richmond BC. See the presentation and handouts related to professional development and the implementation of UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Local Education Agreements are important tools for building relationships between First Nation communities and boards of education or independent school authorities, in order to support improved First Nation student outcomes. See the LEA Presentation from the FNESC 2019 Indigenous Education Conference an additional LEA Resources.
2018-19 Funding Estimator Tool calculates First Nations Schools’ Funding Allocations using individual enrolment data and factors that apply specifically to each school. A corresponding User Manual is available. Note that this tool provides an estimate only based on historical information Actual funding amounts may differ.
See our BCTEA Update (January 2019).
BCTEA BC First Nations Education Funding Handbook (2018) explains the Indigenous Services Canada’s BCTEA Funding Detail Budget Report Table that is sent to First Nations each year.
BCTEA and Schedules
- September 9, 2019 – Indigenous Focused Pro-D Day for Public School Teachers
- March 4, 2019 – Transportation to BC Public Schools and Funding Estimator Tool
- November 2, 2018 – FNESC Evaluation RFP, deadline November 23, 2018
- September 27, 2018 – First Nations Schools and Full-time Kindergarten 4 Funding, New BCTEA BC First Nations Education Funding Handbook
- September 18, 2018 – First Nations Schools Language and Culture Program, Systemic Changes to Support Language and Culture Programming in Public Schools
- August 20, 2018 – About BCTEA and New BCTEA Funding, Changes to Support the BC First Nations Education System, Special Education, Government Commitments, Nominal Roll, Regional Sessions
Support to First Nations Schools and Communities
For questions about BCTEA, you are welcome to contact Jan Haugen, Manager of Executive Services, FNESC email@example.com Toll-free in BC 1-877-422-3672
If you have questions about your specific funding allocation, please contact your Funding Services Officer.
You are also welcome to contact the Education Program Advisor, Department of Indigenous Services Canada firstname.lastname@example.org