Introduction and Overview
- Jurisdiction Introduction and Overview PowerPoint. This PowerPoint provides an overview of the Jurisdiction Initiative. Education Jurisdiction Initiative Terms of Reference (April 24, 2023). This Terms of Reference describes how First Nations engage in the Education Jurisdiction Initiative and the role that FNESC will play in supporting them.
- Jurisdiction Funding and Reporting PowerPoint (Coming Soon). This PowerPoint provides an overview of the funding available to First Nations to support them in the Jurisdiction Initiative as they move through the process to become Participating First Nations (PFNs).
- Education Jurisdiction Framework Agreement (July, 21, 2023).
- Model Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreement (Schedule A to the Education Jurisdiction Framework Agreement)
- Summary of C-FN Education Jurisdiction Agreement (Coming Soon)
- Model Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Funding Agreement (Schedule B to the Education Jurisdiction Framework Agreement)
- Summary of C-FN Education Jurisdiction Funding Agreement (Coming Soon) with chart
- Model Education Co-Management Agreement (December 12, 2022)
- BC-PFN Form of Agreement (June 23, 2023)
- Federal Enabling Legislation, 2006: First Nations Jurisdiction over Education in BC Act
- Provincial Enabling Legislation, 2007: First Nations Education Act
Community Templates and Resources
- Model A (Council Vote) First Nation Law-making Protocol Draft pdf docx
- Model B (Ratification Vote) First Nation Law-making Protocol Draft pdf docx
- Memo re: First Nation Education Law-Making Protocol Models
- Reciprocal Tuition Handbook (2022)
- Template Wording for BCR for Interested First Nations (April 24, 2023). This BCR is required for a First Nation to become an Interested First Nation. pdf docx
- Template BCR for Committed First Nations (April 24, 2023). This BCR is required for a First Nation to become a Committed First Nation. pdf docx
- Memo: Independent School Designation Under Jurisdiction (October 21, 2021)
- Funding FAQs and Answers (Coming Soon)
Resources related to the First Nations Education Authority
- FNEA and Education Co-Management Agreement PowerPoint (Coming Soon)
- First Nations Education Authority Rules regarding Graduation Certificates (December 12, 2022)
- First Nations Education Authority Rules regarding Courses Required to Graduate from a PFN School (December 12, 2022)
- First Nations Education Authority Rules for the Certification of Participating First Nation Schools (December 12, 2022)
- First Nations Education Authority Rules for the Certification and Regulation of Teachers (April 19, 2023)
- Approaches to Governance under Education Jurisdiction (August 13, 2021)
- Chart of Governance Approaches to Education Jurisdiction (September 8, 2021)
For further information regarding the First Nations Education Authority (FNEA) please visit their website at www.fneajurisdiction.ca.
Accepted Offer First Nation (AOFN) – a First Nation that has received and accepted an offer from Canada respecting a Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreement, but not yet ratified the agreement.
Band Council Resolution (BCR) –The authority mechanism by which the elected representatives of a Band Council authorize an action.
BCTEA – the British Columbia Tripartite Education Agreement. It is an agreement signed between FNESC, BC, and Canada and it sets the foundation for further growth and changes to support the growth of our BC First Nations education system.
BCTEA Funding Estimator Tool – calculates First Nations Schools’ Funding Allocations that an individual First Nation would receive under BCTEA using individual enrolment data and factors that apply specifically to each school. See the latest version on the BCTEA page.
BCTEA Funding Handbook – explains Indigenous Services Canada’s BCTEA Funding Detail Budget Report Table that is sent to First Nations each year to calculate funding for First Nations schools in BC under BCTEA. See the latest version on the BCTEA page.
Committed First Nation (CFN) – a First Nation that has received a current offer or formally requested an offer from Canada respecting a Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreement.
Community Education Authority (CEA) – a legally constituted entity established by the Participating First Nation to operate its educational system.
Education (as defined in the Canada First Nation Jurisdiction Agreement and the BC-FNESC Agreement) – education programs and services of a nature generally provided to students enrolled in K-12.
Education Co-Management Agreement – the agreement entered into between the Participating First Nation and the First Nation Education Authority.
Effective Date – the date specified in the federal Order-in-Council upon which this Agreement comes into effect.
Engaged First Nation (EFN) – an IFN, CFN, AOFN or an RFN.
First Nations Education Act (Provincial Enabling Legislation) – the legislation enacted by BC which, among other matters, recognizes PFN’s Jurisdiction over education as set out in Canada – First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreements.
First Nation Education Authority (FNEA) – the legally constituted entity established by federal statute to support Participating First Nations implement jurisdiction over education.
First Nation Education Law – a law passed by the Participating First Nation with respect to the operation of its Education system in accordance with an Education Jurisdiction Agreement.
First Nation Education Law Making Protocol – a protocol adopted by the Participating First Nation in accordance with the Education Jurisdiction Agreement.
First Nations Jurisdiction over Education in British Columbia Act (Federal Enabling Legislation) – the legislation enacted by Canada providing a process for bringing the Education Jurisdiction Agreement into legal force and effect.
First Nations School Assessment and Certification Process – the process as set out in
the Handbook prepared by FNESC and FNSA, which may be amended from time to time. This process has been adopted by FNEA as the process by which PFN Schools will be certified.
FNEA Teaching Certificate (FTC) – the teaching certificate issued by the FCD Committee on behalf of FNEA and includes an interim certificate.
FNEA Graduation Certificate – a graduation certificate issued by FNEA.
Interested First Nation (IFN) – a First Nation whose Band Council has passed a band council resolution or provided a letter on the First Nation’s letterhead indicating their interest in exercising jurisdiction over education.
Involved First Nation – refers to CFNs, AOFNs, and RFNs. The representatives of this group attend Involved First Nations meetings and are responsible for the Education Jurisdiction Initiative Terms of Reference.
Model Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreement (Education Jurisdiction Agreement) –A sectoral self government agreement regarding education entered into between the Participating First Nation and Canada. This model agreement is a schedule to the Education Jurisdiction Framework Agreement.
Model Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Funding Agreement (Education Jurisdiction Funding Agreement) – a funding agreement entered into between the Participating First Nation and Canada. This model agreement is a schedule to the Education Jurisdiction Framework Agreement.
Participating First Nation (PFN) – a First Nation whose individual Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreement has come into force.
Participating First Nations School (PFN Schools) – a school operated by or on behalf of the Participating First Nation on First Nation land, including an online school, alternate education centre, adult education centre, or early childhood learning centre offering an Education program.
PFN Graduation Certificate – a graduation certificate issued by a PFN in accordance
with PFN Graduation Requirements.
Ratified First Nation (RFN) – a First Nation that has successfully ratified a Canada-First Nation Education Jurisdiction Agreement and law-making protocol.
Reciprocal Tuition Arrangement – Under the Reciprocal Tuition arrangement, Participating First Nations (PFNs) are obligated to pay public school boards for students from PFNs who are enrolled in public schools. In turn, the province of BC is obligated to pay Community Education Authorities (CEAs) for students who live off reserve or on leased lands off reserve, and are enrolled in an educational program from the CEA, as long as the student qualifies for provincial education funding. Tuition rates will be determined by the provincial per student rates in the applicable region or school district.
Teacher Certification Process – the process and requirements set out and used by the First Nations Education Authority to certify that a teacher has met the standards and competencies established by the First Nations Education Authority.
AFN Assembly of First Nations
AOFN Accepted Offer First Nation
BCTC BC Teachers’ Council
BCTEA BC Tripartite Education Agreement
BCTF BC Teachers’ Federation
BCR Band Council Resolution
CEA Community Education Authority
CIRNA Crown Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs
CFN Committed First Nation
ECC BC Ministry of Education and Child Care
EFN Engaged First Nation
FNEA First Nations Education Authority
FNESC First Nations Education Steering Committee
FNS First Nations Summit
FNSA First Nations Schools Association
FTC FNEA Teaching Certificate
IFN Interested First Nation
ISC Indigenous Services Canada
PFN Participating First Nation
RFN Ratified First Nation
TRB Teacher Regulation Branch
UBCIC Union of BC Indian Chiefs